About Chateau de Melin
Melin castle was built in 1551 by the Rozereau family and later bought by Brunet Monthelie, who at the end of the XVIIth century extended the castle with a second building opposite the first, flanked by perpendicular wings connecting the two buildings. The three rectangular buildings, each equipped with a tower staircase, form a "horseshoe shape" around the square courtyard.
Six generations of winemakers have succeeded each other since the French Revolution. Grandfather, Paul Dumay, farmed 7 to 8 hectares, mainly in the Maranges valley. After this, his parents expanded the estate to 15 hectares between 1970 and 2000.
The current owners bought the Château de Melin in 2000. They began a complete renovation of the various buildings before taking over the wine estate in 2003. They continue to expand and diversify the estate. Today, they operate 25 Ha: 7 white appellations and 13 red appellations. They also built cellars and since then the wines have been aged and bottled at the Château.
It is essential for a wine of good quality to respect the vine and its environment. It will then fully express the specific characteristics of its terroir through its grapes.
Therefore, in 2009, they made the choice to convert the estate to organic cultivation. This culture consists of cultivating the vineyards with respect for the environment, without using pesticides, herbicides or chemicals. But animals are also given more space and allowed to display their natural behaviour.
The ultimate goal is to obtain good quality grapes that express the best of the Burgundian terroir.
Several times a year we are inspected by an independent certification body: Ecocert.
They have been producing certified organic wines since 2012.